Introduction to Amazon EC2
SPL-200 - Version 1.1.7
© 2019 Amazon Web Services, Inc. and its affiliates. All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced or redistributed, in whole or in part, without prior written permission from Amazon Web Services, Inc. Commercial copying, lending, or selling is prohibited.
Errors or corrections? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other questions? Contact us at https://aws.amazon.com/contact-us/aws-training/
This lab provides you with a basic overview of launching, resizing, managing, and monitoring an Amazon EC2 instance.
Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale cloud computing easier for developers.
Amazon EC2's simple web service interface allows you to obtain and configure capacity with minimal friction. It provides you with complete control of your computing resources and lets you run on Amazon's proven computing environment. Amazon EC2 reduces the time required to obtain and boot new server instances to minutes, allowing you to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as your computing requirements change.
Amazon EC2 changes the economics of computing by allowing you to pay only for capacity that you actually use. Amazon EC2 provides developers the tools to build failure resilient applications and isolate themselves from common failure scenarios.
By the end of this lab, you will be able to:
- Launch a web server with termination protection enabled
- Monitor Your EC2 instance
- Modify the security group that your web server is using to allow HTTP access
- Resize your Amazon EC2 instance to scale
- Explore EC2 limits
- Test termination protection
- Terminate your EC2 instance
Notice the lab properties below the lab title:
- setup - The estimated time to set up the lab environment
- access - The time the lab will run before automatically shutting down
- completion - The estimated time the lab should take to complete
- At the top of your screen, launch your lab by clicking
If you are prompted for a token, use the one distributed to you (or credits you have purchased).
A status bar shows the progress of the lab environment creation process. The AWS Management Console is accessible during lab resource creation, but your AWS resources may not be fully available until the process is complete.
- Open your lab by clicking
This will automatically log you into the AWS Management Console.
Please do not change the Region unless instructed.
Common login errors
Error : Federated login credentials
If you see this message:
- Close the browser tab to return to your initial lab window
- Wait a few seconds
- Click again
You should now be able to access the AWS Management Console.
Error: You must first log out
If you see the message, You must first log out before logging into a different AWS account:
- Click click here
- Close your browser tab to return to your initial Qwiklabs window
- Click again
Join Qwiklabs to read the rest of this lab...and more!
- Get temporary access to the Amazon Web Services Console.
- Over 200 labs from beginner to advanced levels.
- Bite-sized so you can learn at your own pace.